Please click on a question below to access a specific answer to your question.
- Why has Himalayan balsam become such a problem?
- Is Himalayan balsam a problem in mainland Europe?
- How do I identify Himalayan balsam?
- Why use natural control?
- Does it work?
- What if it goes wrong?
- Why can’t we just leave things as they are?
- Is there a danger of releasing another alien species that will become a problematic invasive?
- Is this anything like GM?
- How can it be that these natural enemies only attack one plant?
- Will releasing a natural control agent eradicate Himalayan balsam in Great Britain?
- Is this like the azolla weevil?
- Will anyone make money out of a release?
- Are you looking at using natural control for any other invasive species?
- Has biological control been considered for weeds in the UK before?
- Are there any other examples of where non-native species have been used to control other non-native species in the UK?
- What about the rest of the world?
- What about the cane toad?
Himalayan balsam rust
- What is Himalayan balsam rust?
- Why does the rust have different spore stages?
- How was the rust identified?
- How can one rust do the job?
- Could the Himalayan balsam rust harm native flora?
- What about bees?
- Could this balsam rust become another Ash dieback?
- When and where will the rust be released?
- Why is the rust being released now?
- Why these locations, and will CABI release the rust at other locations in future?
- How are the rust and its effects going to be monitored?
- How will we know whether the rust has been a success?
- How long will it take before a real impact is achieved?